Anti-Aging Skin Care Basics
Wouldn’t it be great if we could turn back the clock? The war on aging may seeming like an unending battle but thankfully there are measures we can take to fight! Here are some basic tips to reduce premature aging.
- Protect your skin from the sun EVERYDAY. Rain, shine, or even snow, there are still ultraviolet rays that can penetrate car or office windows and age the skin. Wearing sun protective clothing, seeking shade, applying a broad spectrum sunscreen SPF 30 (or higher), and wearing a daily moisturizer with sunscreen are all methods to provide daily protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Don’t Smoke. Smoking accelerates skin aging leading to deep wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion.
- If you want a tan, go for the spray tan. Many people believe that by tanning this primes the skin to avoid burning. However, every time you get a tan whether from outdoor sun or indoor tanning beds, you are prematurely aging your skin and increasing your risk for skin cancer.
- Avoid repetitive facial expressions. When you make a facial expression, you contract the underlying muscles. If you repeatedly contract the same muscles for many years, these lines become permanent. Botox is a method commonly used to relax the muscles of the face leading to wrinkles. Many people in their 20s and 30s are using Botox as a preventive method to decrease the development of deeper wrinkles later in life.
- Be consistent with your daily skin care routine. A good core anti-aging regimen contains a daily sunscreen, a retinol, anti-oxidants and growth factors. See my blog on anti-aging ingredients for more information on each of these components.Be consistent with your daily skin care routine. A good core anti-aging regimen contains a daily sunscreen, a retinol, anti-oxidants and growth factors. See my blog on anti-aging ingredients for more information on each of these components.
Remember it’s not too late!
Unfortunately, we can’t go back in time to completely reverse previous damage, but we can certainly prevent future damage. Even those with signs of premature aging can benefit from a combination of lifestyle changes, sun protective measures, a solid skin care routine, and sometimes a little help from various cosmetic procedures.
For more information on ways to protect your skin from aging contact us at 313-884-9100.